Sunday, August 19, 2012

Free and About

     Anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle know how different the experience really is from being in a car. Exposed to the elements with the wind deafening, hair tugged about every which way the wind preferred, and a panoramic view of anything and everything around you. It is sort of like riding a horse as compared to riding in a carriage. Freedom abound. Danger abound. But we live for danger don't we? It's when we are faced with inherent dangers and overcome them triumphantly do we feel really alive. So why am I writing about motorcycles? Well I am writing about motorcycles because I have yet to see the perfect bike for me. Well, some people prefer japanese,some prefer british,and some prefer american iron. But it doesn't really matter what and which brand you prefer above all else just as long as you can ride it till your butt wears off.

     Call me a hapless romantic but I want my mtorcycle to be as raw as they come, as simple as they come, and as dependable as they come.Yes, I do like choppers, bobbers, cafe racers, and everything beyond that and between but I want my bike to be unassuming, moderate in power, handles like a superbike, and as comfortable as your favorite TV chair. In other words I want a bike I can live with on a day to day basis. My idea of a perfect bike? A custom of course.

     I want my bike to be  zero degrees rake and zero degrees stretch. I want adjustable suspension in the front and rear. I want four piston breaks on both ends. I want a stretched tank. Finally I want a motor somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 to 130 cubic inch. Say I want something in the neighborhood of Sportster-meets-Cafe Racer but not too street fighter looking. Paint? Nothing flashy really, just flat black. Do you see where this is going? Motorcycle enthusiasts ( as what I politically correctly call bikers) can spend hours on end talking about their bikes and the modifications they have done to them. In fact, a whole culture has spawned from this obsession. The aftermarket following of motorcycles brand A to Z is just astounding. 

     So what am I really driving at here? One word-CHOICES. We all have our passions in life and we CHOOSE to pursue them, we CHOOSE to nurture them, and we CHOOSE to live them on a day to day basis, 24-7. So why don't we apply our tenacity with the same aplomb on other areas in our lives like say, our HEALTH,our RELATIONSHIPS, our OUTLOOK. We pursue the things that interests us the most but pay no heed to the things that matter more in the grander scheme of things. I am not saying we are lacking, no we are far from that. I am merely hinting that regardless how perfect your life may look ( if perfect it is) there are still some areas that needed fine-tuning just like that finely tuned Sportster you may have in that garage of yours. An open mind allows us to uncover areas in our lives in need of polishing. A forgiving heart enables us to accept and overcome whatever shortcomings we may encounter along the way. A free spirit enables us to see the world as it really is, beyond all that bling and zing and katching. So,LET 'S RIDE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment